At Richard Atkins we teach History and Geography through our Creative Curriculum in order to engage and enthuse our children and to promote their love for learning.
We choose themes which are reflective of our school community and allow pupils to explore the past, think about the present and prepare them for a modern Britain and Global society that is diverse.
During the year we cover six themes; each theme is introduced during a WOW DAY and the children have the opportunity to go on a trip or to enjoy a visiting workshop to widen their knowledge of the theme.
In History we aim to give children the opportunity to:
- Develop their understanding of chronology
- Develop their understanding of how people’s lives have been shaped by history
- Explore how Britain has influenced and been influenced by History
- Research different historical aspects using a range of resources, e.g. pictures, photographs, artefacts, drawings, people’s testimonies
- Communicate their findings using a wide range of historical vocabulary
In Geography, we aim to give the children the opportunity to:
- Develop a curiosity and fascination about the world and its people that will remain with them throughout their lives
- Develop a deep understanding of the Earth’s key physical and human processes and it’s diverse places, people, resources and natural and human environments
- Develop the geographical knowledge and language to explain how the
- Earths features are shaped, interconnected and change over time
- Explore the world around them and learn the skills needed to collect and analyse evidence and communicate their findings