Personal, Social and Health Education
At Richard Atkins PSHE is an integral part of everything that we do in order to ensure our children understand themselves physically, emotionally and socially.
By providing an environment supportive to emotional health and well-being we aim to support our pupils to be motivated and equipped to:
- Be effective and successful learners
- Make and sustain friendships
- Deal with and resolve conflict effectively and fairly
- Solve problems with others or by themselves
- Manage strong feelings such as frustration, anger and anxiety
- Be able to promote calm and optimistic states that promote the achievement of goals;
- Recover from setbacks and persist in the face of difficulties
- Work and play cooperatively
- Compete fairly and win and lose with dignity and respect for competitors
- Recognise and stand up for their rights and the rights of others
- Understand and value the differences and commonalities between people, respecting the right of others to have beliefs and values different from their own
The PSHE curriculum is covered through a planned programme of learning and delivered through discussions, debates, circle time, stories that raise issues, role play and assemblies. To support our teaching of PSHE we use the Social and Emotional Aspects of Learning (SEAL) topics, which were designed by the DfE, which we combine with Rights Respecting Schools.
As part of our PSHE curriculum we also cover Sex and Relationship Education (SRE). We believe that it is important to provide each pupil with the skills, knowledge and understanding relating to SRE to enable them to make informed choices, lead confident, healthy and independent lives within their community.
At Richard Atkins, we believe that SRE is lifelong learning about:
- Physical, moral and emotional development
- Developing knowledge and understanding of the importance of family life
- Understanding the importance of stable and loving relationships
- Developing respect, love and care for self and others
In-class teaching of PSHE is supported by our School Values which we explore in greater depth with our pupils during weekly themed assemblies and circle time.
Our Values are: